Swing golf is understood as the act of hitting the ball in golf sport. This is one of the most important techniques that any golfer must learn and cultivate when participating in this sport. To know how to swing a golf club, follow the article below.
- 1 What is a golf swing? CoM and CoP in the standard golf swing
- 2 How to swing a golf club?
- 3 Some notes to help correct golf swing technique
- 4 Common mistakes when performing golf swing technique
- 5 Conclusion
What is a golf swing? CoM and CoP in the standard golf swing
Golf swing is the term used to refer to the swing of the golfer when performing a strong swing of golfers through the golf club. Golf swing will consist of 2 stages, pre-swing and stroke. Swing is considered a basic golf course; any player participating in this aristocratic sport needs to know.
According to professional coaches, most golfers are impatient, wanting to learn the fastest standard golf swing technique. Many people, therefore, only focus on putting strong energy to take the ball away, but this is a misinterpretation, and most of them will make the shots inaccurate, the score is low. To possess a standard golf swing technique, players need to distinguish between CoM mass and CoP center of gravity.
What is CoM?
CoM stands for Center of Mass, the Vietnamese meaning of the body focus. The golfer’s CoM will depend on the weight of various body parts such as the torso, arms, legs, and the posture of the body when performing the swing.
For example, when you hang a golf ball in front of your belly (at the navel position), the center of the ball is on the CoM – in the center of the body. When bending over and swinging, the ball is pushed out of the body.
What is CoP?
CoP stands for Center of Pressure, and this term describes the center of pressure on the feet. Therefore, CoP is considered to be the position of the combined force of the unevenly distributed forces at the point of contact of the feet with the ground.
In case the player is upright, the CoP is the position between the legs. Meanwhile, the line going through CoP will also pass through CoM. However, if the player moves, CoP and CoM also move and deviate from each other. However, the position of CoM will not change too much.
CoP measurement, on the other hand, is the measurement of the vertical pressure under the golfer’s legs during the swing. Accordingly, the two feet’ movement position will also depend a lot on the strong or light pressure at each different time when swinging in golf. Therefore, precise determination of this force is also a way to help a player with a standard golf swing technique.
How to swing a golf club?
In golf, swing is an important technique, so the practice and hone the skills will help players significantly improve their performance. To know how to swing a golf club, follow the suggestion below.
Step 1: Master the standing posture
- First, players need to stand in a foreleg position slightly in front of the ball:
Players place their feet in the correct position as shown above, with forelegs wide open against the ball. In this standing position, the clubhead will be in the right position, helping the golfer get the most comfortable swing. Ideally, the foot should create a wider shoulder distance, the ball should be placed between the legs relative to the standing position.
- Create a close enough distance to the ball so that the middle part of the club surface touches the ball, the arms are in a straight state but still ensure the most comfortable and relaxing. Avoid standing so close to the ball that players will have to bend their right elbows to get a good position against the club. Also, don’t stand too far away, as this could cause your arms to be too wide.
- Moderately arched knee: To have a standard golf swing, players need to avoid standing in a rigid position, try to bend the knee just right to bring the body to the most comfortable state. On the contrary, if you are standing in an upright position, then the body is rigid, making it difficult to complete the hit effectively.
Step 2: How to hold the club in a standard golf swing technique
No matter what style of grip you choose for your club grip, make sure it feels most comfortable in your grip. A comfortable grip will help the club tip to rotate flexibly during the shot. Thanks to that, the shot is highly accurate, providing amazing distance.
Like many movements and techniques in golf, the more players try to “pinch” the body, make incorrect posture, the body is uncomfortable, thereby leading to muscle tension, hindering the swing phase. Ideally, keep your body comfortable.
Step 3: Swing with the correct stick
- Start your backswing: Backswing is the posture of lifting the club from the starting position until it is above the top of the head. At this point, try to rotate your upper body during the backswing while also moving your torso from your front legs to your hind legs.
- Follow through with downswing: when swing down, you will feel like you are pulling the clubhead down compared to other factors. Simultaneously, forearms and staff will form a 90-degree angle, then gradually increase to relax and relax at a natural speed. The player also needs to allow his body to move slowly but must ensure maximum control over the activity.
- Staff tilt angle with the target when impact: In this position, the player’s hand will always be in front of the clubhead. From there, make sure the clubhead is in contact with the ball before touching the ground. In the meantime, do not forget to rotate your hips to increase the strength of your golf swing. Because the energy of the hit was not merely coming from the hand.
- Remember Follow though: the belt buckle will have the direction facing the target so that the golf club will swing over behind the player, from which the legs are kept balanced. This is also the most comfortable finishing position, from where players can easily track the ball’s flight distance.
- Don’t try to use your full strength to polish: In this step, the player should avoid clutching the club, nor try to hit the ball with all his strength. The most important factor that helps you get the right golf swing is in the posture, not the ball’s force.
Some notes to help correct golf swing technique
To get the best golf swing, besides having to ensure balance, each player should note the following points:
- Do not move the head too much: Golfer should limit head movement; only move left, right when performing backswing and downswing.
- Put all the weight on the left leg: 80-90% of the bodyweight should be put on the front leg to maintain balance and support better movements.
- Do not swing the club too long: If the player swings the club too long, the strike power may be weakened, affecting the ball line.
- Increased contact with the ball: Pay attention to lower the palm, then keep the right palm facing down. Thanks to that, the swing is increased in strength and the ability to contact the ball and create a precise shot.
Common mistakes when performing golf swing technique
During swing practice, players need to note some of the following errors to improve their score and improve level:
The head moves too much
This is the most common mistake most new golfers encounter. To fix this problem, the only way is to fix the head for a more precise swing.
Golfers should only move slightly to the right when backswing and to the left a little while downswing.
Put the weight back
Usually, the professional golfer will put 80 – 90% of gravity into the foreleg in the impact position; the amateur golfer will put about 55%. Meanwhile, new players do the opposite.
The left wrist is not straight
If making 2 errors mentioned above, golfers will surely make this 3rd error. So the only way to fix the wrong wrist is to fix the 2 errors mentioned above.
Can’t control the clubface
This is a mistake many golfers encounter when practicing golf swing techniques. To overcome, players should regularly practice to improve their skills.
Above is a golf swing guide on how to swing a golf club with technique. Simultaneously, we also reveal the mistakes that players often make when performing golf swing techniques. Hope this information will be useful to golfers.